|In this Issue
Can you name the biggest challenges to your organization’s sustainability? The Reid Group is committed to helping organizations ensure a sustainable future and has developed a Sustainable Future Audit to help them.
At The Reid Group, we have a passion for helping leaders and organizations transform their challenges into opportunities to create a better world. One of the ways we do that is through this e-letter, Transforming Challenges. Is there someone you know who could benefit from receiving it? Forward this edition to them and encourage them to subscribe for themselves. They’ll thank you—and so do we!
The Reid Group News
- In the last month, John Reid and Maureen Gallagher were privileged to facilitate two chapter meetings, one with the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity and one with the Humility of Mary Sisters.
- Lucien Roy represented The Reid Group at the Catholic Health Association Convocation in Anaheim, CA while Rick McCord represented The Reid Group at the national Leadership Roundtable on Church Management. John Reid attended the joint meeting of the National Association of Lay Ministers and the Conference for Pastoral Planning and Council Development in Las Vegas.
- John Reid has been hired by Newman University in Wichita, KS to facilitate a cabinet retreat and to work with the faculty, staff and Board on a new plan for the University.
- We are pleased to congratulate two candidates recently hired as the result of successful executive searches: David Pike has been hired as Senior VP for Mission and Community Outreach by Mercy Health in Cincinnati, and Andy Santos has been hired as Senior VP for Mission Integration by St. John Providence Health System in Detroit.
- Maureen Gallagher will facilitate a two-day meeting in July with the Sisters of Mercy West Midwest. The meeting will bring together the Personal Contact Sisters, Convenors and Life Care Coordinators to share their experiences and come to a common understanding of their roles and responsibilities as they relate to the Community Leadership Team.
- The next in the Strengthening Catholic Identity series, Spiritual and Liturgical Life, will be published in July.
- Congratulations to Brian Neeley, the new Director of Campus Ministry at Alvernia University in Reading, PA and to Joshua Allee, newly-hired Vice President for Mission Integration at St. Joseph Hospital in Eureka, CA. The Reid Group conducted the search process for these successful hires.
So as you look at your individual or organizational future, what are your challenges? Could you benefit from skilled support? Give us a call at 206-432-3565 or send us an e-mail to start transforming those challenges into opportunities.
Quotes for Inspiration and Action
Telling the future by looking at the past assumes that conditions remain constant. This is like driving a car by looking in the rearview mirror.
Doubt yourself and you doubt everything you see. Judge yourself and you see judges everywhere. But if you listen to the sound of your own voice, you can rise above doubt and judgment. And you can see forever.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be.
Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand.
You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith.
Mary Manin Morrissey
6 Keys to a Sustainable Future
John Reid, Senior Consultant,
The Reid Group
Based on 16 years of working with a significant number of leaders in a wide variety of organizations, The Reid Group has decided to focus all of our energies and expertise on helping organizations “transform challenges into opportunities” to create a sustainable future for themselves.
After working with organizations across the United States and beyond, we have identified six areas of sustainability necessary to ensure their viable future:
Mission & Vision Toward Action
Organizational leaders need to be able to articulate their purpose (mission), their values (operating principles), and their vision-what do they want to look like in five years? What impact do they want to have? These statements are rooted in the spirituality or belief system of the community or organization and are sometimes articulated, sometimes embedded, sometimes celebrated, but always foundational.
Leadership Retention and Recruitment
Jim Collins, in Good to Great, talks about getting the right people into the right positions “on the bus.” It is critical to the long-term success of an organization to do well by its leadership: conduct regular performance evaluations and engage in thoughtful search processes for new hires that find leaders with the “right fit” for the organization.
Change, Loss & Growth
Rapid change is a constant in our world and in the life of every organization. It is essential to recognize the losses that come in the change process and to provide clear practical tools to help individuals and organizations grow stronger.
Communication & Conflict Management
With the rapid changes occurring in every industry (health care, schools, churches) the risk of misunderstanding and miscommunication looms large. Focused initiatives that lead to more effective communication and more productive conflict management will improve staff morale, lead to superior problem-solving and enhance the impact of the organization.
Funds for Mission
Every organization must meet the challenge of finding necessary funding to provide a secure environment for its employees and cash reserves (endowments or other restricted funds) to support future action. As the economic downturn of 2008-09 reminded us, adequate funding, like air, is necessary if an organization is to survive as well as thrive.
In addition to the five areas named above, there are unique challenges (cultural, gender, age, geography) facing every organization.
The Reid Group believes the first five areas are general for every organization, and the sixth is specific to each organization. We have developed a Sustainable Future Audit tool to help you identify your challenges and begin to chart a course toward sustainability. If you would like to receive a copy, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org/nonprofit.
The Art of Change: Faith, Vision and Prophetic Planning
Think about what your organization could do if the process of planning met the inevitability of change head-on—and it resulted in significant success.
Organizations large and small, religious and secular, for-profit and not-for-profit, successful and unsuccessful, go through change. John Reid and Maureen Gallagher of the Reid Group have been instrumental in helping many groups discover the power of Prophetic Planning. This book presents a complete overview with detailed information that any organization will find useful in understanding how to plan for change.
The Art of Change: Faith, Vision and Prophetic Planning, and its companion CD are now available from Liguori Publications as well as from Amazon.com.