|In this Issue
How confident are you that your organization can sustain itself into the future? Are there areas that are causing you concern? In this edition of Transforming Challenges we talk about how the Sustainable Future Audit tool can help you capture a picture of your organization and prioritize next steps for action.
At The Reid Group, we have a passion for helping leaders and organizations transform their challenges into opportunities to create a better world. One of the ways we do that is through this e-letter, Transforming Challenges. Is there someone you know who could benefit from receiving it? Forward this edition to them and encourage them to subscribe for themselves. They’ll thank you—and so do we!
The Reid Group News
- Maureen Gallagher has contracted with the Holy Cross Sisters–USA Province in Merrill, WI to assist the community with future planning.
- John Reid will facilitate a stakeholders meeting at St. Joseph School in Issaquah, WA on October 27.
- John and Maureen just returned from Boston where they facilitated Province Days with the Sisters of St. Anne.
- John Reid will make a presentation to the Diocese of Trenton’s Pastoral Council and Finance Council on October 17 on the Faith in Our Future strategic planning process. Tom Reid will make a similar presentation to the diocesan Deacon Convocation on October 24.
- The Reid Group continues to serve businesses, families and communities through The Reid Group Mediation Services which offers workplace dispute resolution, and family and divorce mediation services.
So as you look at your individual or organizational future, what are your challenges? Could you benefit from skilled support? Give us a call at 206-432-3565 or send us an e-mail to start transforming those challenges into opportunities.
The Reid Group teleseminar series
Do you need to engage your leadership in an assessment of your organization’s future?
Are you all on the same page about where you’re going or is there a lack of clarity about the issues you face?
Receive a resource and more by joining our next teleseminar:
October 21, 2015
4 pm ET / 3 pm CT / 2 pm MT / 1 pm PT
During this Teleseminar the Sustainable Future Resource will be introduced as a vehicle to engage leadership in an assessment of a number of critical areas.
To register for this Teleseminar, simply click here.
Materials and resource information to be used on the call will be sent to all registrants.
If there is a topic you would like to see us explore, send your suggestions to email@example.com.
Don’t Just Put Out Fires–Plan Your Sustainable Future
Does your organization have a sustainable future? Do you know what it would look like? Do you know how you’re going to get there?
And, more basically, what does “sustainability” mean? The Reid Group has created a Sustainable Future Audit tool
that can help you evaluate your sustainability and define what it means for you.
There are several elements of sustainability in organizations. Financial viability is usually the first one that organizations focus on, but adequate finances alone won’t ensure a sustainable future. Strategic planning, leadership recruitment and retention, conflict resolution and management of change-all are areas that need attention if your organization is to sustain itself.
At any given time, any one of these areas can be so critical that it sucks the oxygen out of the room. When you don’t have reserves to cover payroll or the rent, it’s hard to turn your attention to creating a strategic plan or reviewing your leadership recruitment needs.
However, the viability of each of these areas has an impact on the others and on the overall sustainability of your organization. Poor leadership can lead to ineffective fundraising or greater staff conflict. And inadequate funding can inhibit your ability to attract and retain competent leadership.
Instead of putting out one fire after another, try a little fire prevention. Use the Sustainable Future Audit tool to start a conversation with your leadership about the state of the organization in:
- Do you have a Mission Statement and agreed-on Core Values? Are they widely known and accepted?
- What are the top three priorities for your organization? What action is being taken to make those priorities a reality?
- Do you have a fund development plan?
- What are the funding needs and funding sources for your organization?
- Do you run an annual fundraising campaign? When was the last time you conducted a capital campaign? Do you have a planned giving program?
Change, Loss and Growth
- What major changes are on the horizon for your organization?
- How are you addressing concerns about these changes?
- Are there areas of hurt and loss in your organization’s history that need to be healed?
Leadership Recruitment and Retention
- Do you have a succession plan for top leadership?
- How are you identifying new leaders for the next few years?
- What are you doing to support your current leadership?
Healthy Organizational Culture
- What are your current communication challenges?
- When conflict arises, what approaches do you use to manage them?
Conducting a sustainability audit on your organization can help you set priorities for next steps. Download the Sustainable Future Audit tool
and start putting your fire prevention program in place today.
The Art of Change: Faith, Vision and Prophetic Planning
Think about what your organization could do if the process of planning met the inevitability of change head-on—and it resulted in significant success.
Organizations large and small, religious and secular, for-profit and not-for-profit, successful and unsuccessful, go through change. John Reid and Maureen Gallagher of the Reid Group have been instrumental in helping many groups discover the power of Prophetic Planning. This book presents a complete overview with detailed information that any organization will find useful in understanding how to plan for change.
The Art of Change: Faith, Vision and Prophetic Planning, and its companion CD are now available from Liguori Publications as well as from Amazon.com.